Sean McConaghy enters his 12th season as the Varsity coach at Guilderland High School. He is a 2000 graduate of The University at Albany, and Physical Education teacher at Farnsworth Middle School in Guilderland. Two more Great Dane lacrosse alums serve as Assistant Coaches – 2001 UA grad Kris Bremer also in his 12th year with the Dutch, and 2009 UA grad Dan McKeon in his third year with the program.
Looking back at the team’s 8-10 finish in 2015, McConaghy offered, “Last season was not what we had hoped for in terms of wins and losses but we did make gains as the season went on. We graduated six seniors last year after a tough one goal loss to Shenendehowa in the quarter finals and have looked forward to this season ever since.”
With 2016 play about to start, McConaghy commented, “We start our season off with the returning NYSPHAA Class A Champion Niskayuna and then get right into the new Suburban Council schedule. We will take the team out to Seattle, WA to play Bellview and Mercer Island who are both ranked amongst the best teams in the west and the top two teams in Washington for the past many years. We will finish the regular season off with games vs new Suburban Council members CBA and Albany.”
“Our strengths this season focus around the fact that many of the starters have been starters for at least one season and a couple have been two year starters. Our goalie, Sam DiPace will be a three year starter and three of the four starting defense were starters last year. We have a group of midfielders, led by Ryan Fish, who are athletic and skilled and can play at both ends of the field. Our attack is led by Kevin Dyer, a four year player, and he as a good group at that position who are all skilled and working hard.”
In regards to players expected to make significant contributions, McConaghy identified:
- Kevin Dyer (Sr. ) will be the leader on attack. He will be playing at Florida Southern and is already in the record books in Guilderland for goals, assists and points. He has a great IQ of the game and knows how to score and distribute.
- Ryan Fish (Sr) is a four year varsity player who will be playing next year at Connecticut College and has great size for us at the midfield.
- Joe Foley (Jr) has been the face off specialist for the past two seasons will be called on to do more on the offensive end this year will also have a big role in our success.
- Sam Di Pace (Sr) will be the starting goalie for the third year and has developed into an all around goalkeeper in terms of leadership and game management.
- Tyler Hess (Jr) (verbal commitment to Boston University), Josh Gutknecht (Jr) and Andy Hines (Jr) will all be the leaders on the defensive end with size and game knowledge.
McConaghy concluded, “This is the 30th season of Guilderland Varsity lacrosse and our expectations for the season are to get better every day. We have been working hard every day in practice and we want to be playing our best lacrosse in May so we can make a healthy run in the sectional playoffs.”
For additional information visit: